Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Our Journey Part 2

After I was diagnosed with PCOS I had to have blood work done to see what/if anything was causing it. I had to start taking progesterone pills to kick start my period since it wasn't coming on its own. My blood work came back fantastic so it wasn't insulin resistance or anything like that. She was a little baffled but decided that it would be best to start me on Clomid 50mg.

The process with Clomid is pretty simple but it requires a lot of planning and timing things just right.

Step 1: Start your period.
Step 2: Start taking Clomid on days 3-8 of your period.
Step 3: Start using ovulation tests on day 10 of your cycle.
Step 4: Do the diddly for 3 days in a row after you get a positive.
Step 5: WAIT
Step 6: Start taking pregnancy tests the day of your missed period.

Step 7: Which no one wants to happen...up your dose of Clomid and start all over again.

I am on my second round of step 5. Yep. Clomid didn't work for us the first time. Well...it actually did what it was supposed to and I actually ovulated. The egg just never fertilized.


proof

 
The bad part is that you can get a positive on an ovulation test and actually not ovulate with PCOS. The ovulation kit doesn't detect ovulation itself, it detects the surge you get before you ovulate. Women with PCOS will more than likely get that surge and when the egg is released, it doesn't go anywhere but right to the outside of the ovary. Sigh. So who knows if I really released and egg or not the first month.

So, when I started my period, I called the doctor and she increased my dose to 100mg. Let me tell you...I'm seriously hoping it works this time. If not, I'm not sure I'm going to do it again. Clomid gives you the worst...I mean the worst hot flashes ever. Plus when it's time to "think" you're pregnant you have every symptom you would if you really were. Sore boobs, cramps, lower back pain, moodiness. Yikes. Everything that indicates that there is a little peanut growing in there.

If we go three rounds and nothing happens then it's Mike's turn to get poked and prodded to see if there is anything wrong with his little guys. We are believing it won't come to that.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, I will be keeping you guys in my thoughts! I'm sure the waiting is the hardest! Please keep us posted!

    Carly
    www.lipglossandcrayons.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! I read every single one and try my hardest to respond back to them all!! I respond by email so make sure you are able to receive replies via email!!! They make my day....really!