Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday {One Strap Burlap Tote}

Materials Needed:
 
1. Burlap
2. Lining Fabric
3. Ruler
4. Pins
5. Scissors
6. Iron
7. Sewing Machine and Components
8. Marking Tool {I used Sharpie for tutorial purposes}
 
 
 
Cut out your fabric. Your lining fabric is longer than the outside fabric because it overlaps to the outside of the bag.
 

Mark down 5" from the top of your outside piece {your burlap} and draw a line all the way across. Make sure it's straight because this will be the line you sew your lining across.

Lay your lining piece face down across the line you just drew. Again, make sure it's straight because this will show on the outside of your bag. Sew along the top using 1/4" seam allowance
 

 
Fold the piece you just sewed over so the right side is facing up. Iron flat. Top stitch all the way across what you just sewed using a 1/4" seam allowance.
 
 

Fold your piece over so the wrong side of your lining fabric is touching the wrong side of your burlap. Stitch acrossed the top using a 1/4" seam allowance.

 
This is what you should have so far. Do this for the other side of your bag.

 
Time to sew your two sides together. Layer 'em up. Make sure your two front pieces are lined up so when you sew them together and flip your bag right side out you have nice lines.

 
Layer with right sides together. You should have a lining piece face down, burlap face up, burlap face down, lining piece face up.

 
I drew my seam allowances on for you so you could see. You don't have to do this step if you don't want to. It helps to keep your sew line straight though. Pin and sew using a 1/2" seam allowance. 
 
Snip your corners and flip right side out. Make sure to poke out those corners so you have a crisp look. Also trim off any excess fabric you have. Make sure not to cut in to your stitching when you're trimming.
 
 
This is what you shoudl have thus far! A complete bag with no handle.
 
Time to make your handle. I wanted my handle nice and wide so I cut my fabric piece 8" x 30" and folded it in half length wise with right sides together and sewed up the open side. Then flip it right side out and sew the ends under using a 1/4" seam. If you want a full tutorial on how to make the handles you can go {here} where I show how I make all my straps.

 
Now to sew your strap on to your bag. For this bag I just wanted one strap, but if you want to you can follow the above tutorial.
 
Turn your bag back to inside out. Measure down two inches from the top of your bag where your seams are on both sides and pin your strap in place. Make sure you are centering your strap over the middle of your seam.

 
Sew acrossed the top bottom and both sides. You can use an "X" pattern to sew this on as well, but I didn't want that look on the outside of my bag so I just sewed a box.
 
And you're done. Super easy. These would make great Christmas presents, you can customize them, make them bigger or smaller and different colors. You know my moto...."Be Creative"
 


 
Sorry for the blurry finished product pictures. I am having troubles with my dlsr and so I had to take them with my phone.
 
 



1 comment:

I LOVE comments! I read every single one and try my hardest to respond back to them all!! I respond by email so make sure you are able to receive replies via email!!! They make my day....really!